[Gllug] re: SCSI vs IDE

Christian Smith csmith at micromuse.com
Mon Jul 28 20:35:47 UTC 2003

On 28 Jul 2003, Martin A. Brooks wrote:

>On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 13:12, t.clarke wrote:
>> We use SCSI exclusively here on the main server because
>> a) they get data in and out of memory much faster than IDE
>
>True now, but won't be forever. SATA systems will, in the medium term,
>vastly outperform SCSI, the theoretical datarate limit is much higher.

SCSI is already up to U320, with U640 in the works, I believe.

Anyway, the performance of SCSI drives comes not from the bus to the
computer (which would take several drives to saturate) but from the lower
latency afforded by the high rpm rate. A 10000rpm drive on 40MB/s
UltraSCSI will feel faster than a 7200 RPM drive on ATA133 (all else
being equal.) Latency is the performance killer in hard drives.

Until IDE matches SCSI in the RPM stakes, they will always be the poor
man's slower alternative, SATA or not.

>Regards

Christian

--
"You have not converted a man because you have silenced him." -John Morley

    /"\
    / \

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk