[Gllug] [OT] ShoutCasting

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Jul 23 21:00:15 UTC 2003

Axel Segebrecht <axel at segebrecht.com> writes:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm running a small webradio and need bandwidth. So I'm wondering how I
> can best use the bandwidth I'm bragging off people ;D
>
> At the moment everyone is running a local shoutcast server and I just
> put it on my website (www.dexradio.co.uk) so people can connect manually.

[SNIP]
> What would be great would be for people to have a single URL to remember
> and use which automatically connects to an available server.
[SNIP]

off the top of my head, doesn't the bittorrent system use something like
this to keep track of people that have begun downloads so it can refer
new requests to them rather than the original server? I think it's the
tracker component. You could do worse than point out to the bt author
that he could relatively easily provide this as well.

On the other hand, isn't this a prime application for IP multicast and
the sparse multicast routing protocol (which basically assumes there are
little multicast patches in various places interconnected through
standard IP)?

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml