[Gllug] [OT] ShoutCasting

Axel Segebrecht axel at segebrecht.com
Wed Jul 23 19:21:52 UTC 2003

Hello everyone,

I'm running a small webradio and need bandwidth. So I'm wondering how I
can best use the bandwidth I'm bragging off people ;D

At the moment everyone is running a local shoutcast server and I just
put it on my website (www.dexradio.co.uk) so people can connect manually.

Which is s**t because sometimes the server is offline or full, so people
have to browse through the servers to see which one they can use.

Ideally everything would run from one server but that's not possible
(thousands of GB of traffic simply costs too much and since it's not a
commercial thing…).

What would be great would be for people to have a single URL to remember
and use which automatically connects to an available server.

Data on how many slots are available and whether the server is up or
down is available from the shoutcast server, which could be used in form
of a script that puts requests through to the first available one.

Also, since most people are on dynamic IPs one would probably have to
use dynDNS or summin I imagine.

Food for thought :-)

Any ideas and helping hands are most welcome! (can't pay for this but
willing to support it with free beer and crips where required).

Also, if anyone knows someone who is interested in getting his/her mixes
played, let them know where they can find me ;-)

MTIA

Axel

--
dEx Radio ))) house, deep house, nu jazz, hip hop, db and breakbeatz
http://www.dexradio.co.uk/

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk