[Gllug] DV to DIVX

Ashley Evans k0210244 at kingston.ac.uk
Fri Jul 18 14:43:04 UTC 2003

On Friday 18 July 2003 3:14 pm, Eric Stephens wrote:
> Rich,
>
> One of you postings led me to believe you might know the fastest way to
> go straight from a firewire connected camera playing back Digital8 video
> to DIVX using mencoder.
>
> Would that be a practical way to archive and share the recordings?
>
> I am planning to use Knoppix (Debian 3.0) as the baseline OS with a
> firewire card.
>
> Thanks,
>     Eric
>
>   _____
>
> Eric R. Stephens,  <http://www.ericstephens.com/> Ph.D.
> eric.stephens at blinknow.com
> blinknow: your Best LINK to kNOWledge <http://www.blinknow.com/>

> Founder and CTO
> 770-643-9297
> (fax)530-579-8924

My Athlon XP 2100+ (~1700Mhz) is capable of encoding Xvids @ 25fps from an
MPEG-2 (DVB)  source, recompressing the audio to vbr mp3. Based on this I
would say you'd be fine archiving DV to DIVX (xvid) You may want to have
mencoder set at a high priority to ensure cron tabs and the like don't cause
slowdown (updatedb is a prime suspect here :)

Ashley

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk