[Gllug] Modules vs Static in Kernel

t.clarke tim at seacon.co.uk
Fri Jul 18 14:18:26 UTC 2003

Personally, I prefer to have the drivers that are in constant use linked
statically into the Kernel.  OK, if I change the motherboard, I might have to
recompile - but this is unlikely to be a frequent event; more likely the kernel
will be upgraded before the motherboard !

The other reason for preferring static drivers is that I got a bit fed up with
gratutious messages being splattered onto the console every time the printer
driver module was re-loaded (usually when printing something); since the module
was being automatically removed after so many minutes of disuse !

Tim

The E-Mail and any files transmitted  with it, are confidential
whom they are addressed. If you have received this message
in error please notify the sender and delete the message.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk