[Gllug] New Word Processor

Andrew Richardson ahrichardson at clara.net
Sun Jul 13 13:27:43 UTC 2003

There is a new word processor available for Linux and it is surprisingly
good.  Unfortunately it is not free or open source but for those of us
who get a bit tired of waiting for open office to load, or who find
abiword too limited it may be of interest.

There is a review in the new issue of linux format which caught my eye.

It is called Textmaker and is available from http://www.softmaker.de
The cost is 50 Euros or you can get a Linux + Windows double offer for
70 Euros. Fortunately this is not a wine version of the windows release
but something written with their own independant toolkit.

I downloaded the 30 day trial version,(about 15mb). installation is a
simple case of unpacking a tarball and running an install script.  Since
you can install it where you like, you can easily get rid of it if you
don't like it but I think many people will.

The first thing you will notice is how fast it is. Seriously fast !
This is comprehensive program, very much along the lines of Word and
with just about all the features you could want including graphics,
frames, tables, indexes etc.  All this yet it loaded in two seconds flat
on my p3 600 (RH 7.2). Yes really, two seconds !
In operation it is fast as well and the layout of menus and icons is
refreshing un-annoying.

It supports .doc, .rtf, .txt .html and its own native tmd format.  The
word filters seem pretty flawless.

I'm sorry if this sounds like an advert but I reckon this is a slick and
attractive program and worth a mention.

Cheers

Andrew

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk