[Gllug] Computer shopping

Jack Bertram jack at jbertram.net
Mon Jul 28 12:05:03 UTC 2003

* Doug Winter <doug at pigeonhold.com> [030728 13:00]:
> On Mon 28 Jul Andy Farnsworth wrote:
> > I can go on and on, though with a google search, you can probably
> > reciprocate.  Many people and companies incorrectly use Inexpensive rather
> > than Independent in this acronym.
>
> It used to be Inexpensive, but at some point someone decided to change
> it to Independent.  So I guess they are both right.

The term was invented by a team of academics from the University of
California, Berkeley, in 1987.

http://www.datastor.com.au/datastor/Brochure.nsf/0/361dfbb5935321d04a256bfa00101975/$FILE/Understanding%20RAID.pdf

Once HDD manufacturers and solutions providers wanted to start selling
the concept, the name was changed so that they could get away with
selling RAEDs.  (Redundant Arrays of Expensive Disks).

jack

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk