[Gllug] Computer shopping

John Hearns John.Hearns at micromuse.com
Mon Jul 28 12:10:53 UTC 2003

> I can go on and on, though with a google search, you can probably
> reciprocate.  Many people and companies incorrectly use Inexpensive rather
> than Independent in this acronym.

I'm sorry, but you are wrong.
I'm old enough to remember when the concept was first proposed.
In the original paper from Berkeley, where the concept was developed,
it is Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks.
Patterson, Gibson and Katz, A Case for Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks
(RAID). SIGMOD Conference 1988: 109-116

I remember one gig disk drives being brought in on rollers by the 'heavy
gang',
so the concept of using lots of little SCSI disks was quite interesting at
the time.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk