[Gllug] OT Suing Micro Anvika

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Jul 14 16:15:00 UTC 2003

On Mon 14 Jul Jim Bailey wrote:
> I realise that there are not many lawyers on this list but I am hoping
> that someone has been in a similar situation and can offer some advice
> as to my best course of action and possibly tips for a successful
> resolution.

You may want to talk to a lawyer.  You can probably get a freebie
consultation.  A nastygram from a brief may be more useful than the
small claims court.

If you want to proceed yourself (which you can also do, you don't need a
brief for the small claims court), you can do everything online:

https://www.moneyclaim.gov.uk

(I've not tried it, knowing the gov'mints track record, it probably
sucks)

There's lots of information on the court service website about the small
claims court:

http://www.courtservice.gov.uk/

As I understand your legal position, you will be making a claim under
the Sale of Goods Act 1979.  Although the problem didn't manifest itself
till later, presumably there's a manufacturing fault that was present
when you bought it.  That's exactly what that law covers, and you seem
to be a perfect example of what it's designed to cover.

IANAL etc. but it sounds to me like you've got a good case.  The only
bit that might be a bit strange is that you've made claims on the
manufacturer under their warranty.  As I understand it though, this
doesn't affect your contract with the vendor, so you should still be ok.

> I understand that any legal advise should be taken with a pinch of salt
> from this list and will blame no one for giving me bum advice.

Good man :>

doug.

--
"Only one thing is impossible for God: to find any sense in any
copyright law on the planet" -- Mark Twain, Notebook 23 May 1903