[Gllug] Help with Red Hat 8.0 install on Win 98

Ms. Lene Jensen ljensen at redhat.com
Mon Jul 14 16:34:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, 14 Jul 2003 itsbruce at uklinux.net wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 14, 2003 at 08:38:39AM +0000, Robert Boulter wrote:
> > Hi,
> >  I am stumped on my Red Hat 8 install on the following point.
> >  My single hard disk has been formatted into two logical partition C: and
> > D:  I have moved all my windows data to C: and tried to install my root
> > partition on D: using disk druid.  However disk druid is returning a
> > message telling me I need to create a boot disk.  Can anybody help?
>
> Assuming a default set-up, when your PC boots it's going to look first
> for a floppy to boot from and then at the start of the first available
> hard disk for boot code, which in your case is Drive C:.  If you want to
> boot Linux on this computer then you need either to have the Linux boot
> loader installed at the beginning of the first drive or to create a boot
> floppy which you can put into the floppy drive when you want to boot to
> Linux.

Excuse me, but this is not so.  What the installer asks for is one
partition for swap and one for /.  That is _required_, so the disk needs
to have at least 2 partitions for Linux.

Where the rest of the installation is is irrelevant.  What _might_ be
the problem, is if the Linux partition is above 1024 cylinder (about
8.3/8.4GB) and the BIOS is too old to deal with it, in that case, you
will need a boot disk.  This is a BIOS restriction, not a Linux
restriction.

If you know Linux starts below 1024 cylinder or your BIOS is fairly
modern, you can safely ignore message by the installer, it is only
warning you about a potential problem.

My home computer has Windows on the first 100GB of the disk and Linux on
the remaining 60GB.  I have no problems whatsoever booting into Linux
without any boot disk.

LJ
--
10 Alan Turing Road | Tel: +44 (0)1483 734 926 | Want Linux training or
Guildford           | Fax: +44 (0)1483 734 956 | certification?  Go to

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk