[Gllug] web server benchmarking / DOS tool

Ian Norton bredroll at darkspace.org.uk
Tue Jul 29 16:39:12 UTC 2003

Hi folks,

i have been writing some website content manager software and tuning it
recently, ive found quite a fun little benchmarker tool written in perl,
 - http://chatologica.com/site/eBenchmark.htm -

It simply fetches a given url, a given number of times over a given number of
connections as fast as it can and reports the results (dropped/time taken etc)

its appears to give some reasonable info, although run on localhost does give
some serious skew of results on slow systems (it attempts to compensate though),

has anyone else tried this thing?

oh btw, requesting a cgi script 60 times over 10 connections using my adsl
to connect to a raq at a hosting company made the raq crash, surely 60 http
requests in 5sec shouldnt be enough to down a webserver? or are raq's that
crap?

incidently, my cyrix 233 survived the same test (same cgi) giving 1.2 requests
/ sec average.

Ian

--
----- Message of the Hour ------