[Gllug] Clueless sysadmins

Rev Simon Rumble simon at rumble.net
Thu Jul 31 09:00:56 UTC 2003

On Thu 31 Jul, Simon A. Boggis bloviated thus:

> > little knowledge of such things as 'routing' and offer no default route.
>
> I've seen some windows-only places do that sort of thing as a "security
> measure" - no DNS, no default route, internet explorer talking to a
> cache, outlook talking to local mail server. Don't quite see what
> they're securing, given that two common vectors for getting hurt are:

Reminds me of when I used to work for a dot.bomb (now bombed, of
course) soon after the IPO.  Our Windows-only sysadmins had blocked
outbound ssh.  I asked the admin why and he told me they'd had an
outside security audit and the auditor had told them that outbound ssh
was a security hole.  "Why?" I ask.  "Can't tell you that, for
security reasons."

Oh well, so I trundle back to my desk, download a Windows port
scanning tool and do a full outbound port scan from inside their
network.  Does my phone ring with a "WTF do you think you're doing"?
Course not, they didn't need to monitor the network because they'd had
a security audit.

Turns out, as a web agency, they had outbound FTP unblocked -- now
there's a secure protocol.  So I just set up ssh at the other end to
listen on the FTP port.  Problem solved.

And they wonder why they went bust...  I won't start on their site
designs...

--
Rev Simon Rumble <simon at rumble.net>
www.rumble.net

 "The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit."
- Somerset Maugham