[Gllug] HFS formatted ZIP discs

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Sun Jul 6 23:07:01 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 07:47:04PM +0100, Richard wrote:
> Checking /etc/fstab I see that the entry that's been added for
> /dev/sda4, the USB ZIP drive my housemate borrowed from work, shows that
> the filesystem specified is 'auto'.  Any ideas why this works for
> automounting FAT zip discs but not HFS formatted ones?  Has anyone else
> come across this and configured their machines to correctly choose
> between FAT and HFS when automounting a zip?

If the fs type is given as auto then the filesystem is probed to see if
it matches any of the types the kernel knows about.  The kernel only
knows about those types which have been compiled into the kernel or
those types whose module has been loaded.

So if you want to be able to automatically detect a range of filesystems
you need to load all the respective modules or have them all compiled
into the kernel.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill