[Gllug] HFS formatted ZIP discs

Simon A. Boggis simon at dcs.qmul.ac.uk
Mon Jul 7 09:57:00 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 00:07, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> If the fs type is given as auto then the filesystem is probed to see if
> it matches any of the types the kernel knows about.  The kernel only
> knows about those types which have been compiled into the kernel or
> those types whose module has been loaded.
>
> So if you want to be able to automatically detect a range of filesystems
> you need to load all the respective modules or have them all compiled
> into the kernel.

I think that the kernel will also try anything listed in
/etc/filesystems (which has the same format as /proc/filesystems) - this
will result in module loading if you have the kernel autoloader turned
on. I have found this useful in the past to change the order of some
probes, for example to try vfat before msdos.

Simon

Dr Simon A. Boggis                                  Systems Programmer
Department of Computer Science,                     Tel. 020 7882 7522
Queen Mary, University of London, London E1 4NS UK.
---- GPG public key <http://www.dcs.qmul.ac.uk/~simon/#publickey> ----

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk