[Gllug] re: SCSI vs IDE

Mike Brodbelt mike at coruscant.demon.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 18:38:58 UTC 2003

On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 13:30, Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 13:12, t.clarke wrote:
> > We use SCSI exclusively here on the main server because
> > a) they get data in and out of memory much faster than IDE
>
> True now, but won't be forever. SATA systems will, in the medium term,
> vastly outperform SCSI, the theoretical datarate limit is much higher.
>
> SSCSI has been talked about but I've yet to see anything concrete.

SATA is next gen IDE. People who want "better than SCSI" already have
options like FCAL. Anyway, on larger SCSI systems, theoretical datarate
is largely irrelevant - most people use RAID controllers with multiple
channels, and only a few disks on each channel. The limiting factor is
the transfer rate of data of the physical platter, and of the PCI bus.
The max data throughput of the SCSI bus is just a number that tells you
how many drives to put on each channel.

Mike.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk