[Gllug] PCMCIA problem

Adrian McMenamin adrian at mcmen.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 12:28:08 UTC 2003

On Sunday 06 July 2003 11:41, Adam Bower wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 06, 2003 at 10:57:26AM +0100, Adrian McMenamin wrote:
> > I have a PCMCIA device (a bridge to a wireless LAN card) in my machine,
> > but the PCMCIA system does not seem to detect it (no beep). Anyone got
> > any ideas as to how I can get it detetected (lspci reports it as an
> > unidentified network card)?
>
> You mean you have a pci>PCMCIA adaptor? if so make sure it is really one of
> these as some only support the functionality to make them work in windows
> with the wireless card they are designed for. I have had "fun" trying to
> get someones wireless setup working before with pci>pcmcia bridges before
> which would half work, but after a bit we realised they didn't do full
> pcmcia and he had to replace them with something that was actually a full
> pci>PCMCIA bridge (IIRC)

Yes, it's a bridge with a locked down pcmcia card inside it.

Truth is that I used to (about a year ago) have this card in another machine
and it was recognised but there was no driver to support it. Now I have it in
another machine and a driver became available this Spring (though I only
noticed this week) but I cannot remember or google to find out how to get it
recognised :(

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk