[Gllug] BBC looking for campaigners

Matthew Thompson matt at actuality.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 21:50:16 UTC 2003

On Monday, July 28, 2003, at 07:34  pm, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> I used to really dislike it, then I saw what some other countries got
> in
> the way of public broadcasting, and revised my opinions.

Quite - American public broadcasting is very washy and for a large part
consists of BBC shows anyway - they re-broadcast BBC World news then
you get poor quality NTSC conversions of "Are you Being Served" and 3
year old Eastenders.

The License fee is amazing value for money when you consider it funds 2
National TV stations, 4 part time digital TV stations. 9 National
(Digital, Satellite and Freeview) radio stations, A multitude of local
radio stations and one of the largest and most popular web sites in the
country. (BBC World and The World Service are paid for by the
government as part of a propoganda service to the rest of the world ;o)

And all this without regular telethons and appeals to the viewers to
keep the channel on the air.

The day the BBC is forced to compete for advertising revenue will be a
sad day for broadcasting around the world.

M at t :o)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk