[Gllug] BBC looking for campaigners

Bernard Peek bap at shrdlu.com
Mon Jul 28 21:45:17 UTC 2003

In message <20030728133340.GE5014 at rumble.net>, Rev Simon Rumble
<simon at rumble.net> writes

>Sorry, but I like the Beeb.  Having a special, direct taxation
>collection system is far from ideal, but it keeps it further out of
>the grubby mitts of politicians.

There's a lot of pressure from the advertising-sponsored channels to
remove the license fee. The reason is that it's very expensive to make
TV programmes that compete with the quality of the BBC. If they can
reduce funding to the BBC they won't have to spend as much on making
their own programmes.

--
Bernard Peek

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk