[Gllug] Computer Shopping

Andy McGarty andy at mac1systems.com
Sun Jul 27 17:41:07 UTC 2003

SNIP
> PS If you are going to surgest SCSI your going to have to explain why very
> carefully because 18Gb hard disks do not compare well to 80Gb ones for IDE
> when SCSI cards are expensive too. If its needed I'm going to need to say
why
> and currently I don't know at all!

Three words...

5 years warranty

I don't know of many ide drives that offer more than 12 months these days
compared to three years a while ago, which must say something for how
reliable they think their drive are?  I have 5 Maxtor drives recently and 3
where DOA!  These have always been my preferred drive.

AND off topic, I noticed on a drive spec recently that it doesn't work above
an altitude 3000 Metres.  Better think twice before lugging your server up a
mountain!!

Andy

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk