[Gllug] Computer Shopping

Henrik Morsing henrik at morsing.cc
Sun Jul 27 18:28:14 UTC 2003

On Sun, 27 Jul 2003, Andy McGarty wrote:

> > PS If you are going to surgest SCSI your going to have to explain why very
> > carefully because 18Gb hard disks do not compare well to 80Gb ones for IDE
> > when SCSI cards are expensive too. If its needed I'm going to need to say
> why
> > and currently I don't know at all!

1) Reliability
2) Speed
3) Tagged command queing
4) Intelligent devices
5) Independant access to memory and other devices
6) Multiple open commands on one channel possible
7) Write verify

There, almost ten reasons for you. There are more but I can't remember
them right now. Believe it or not but SCSI is value for money and IDE is
not. And who needs 80GBs anyway?

Cheers
Henrik Morsing

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk