[Gllug] Advice on which flavour of Linux to use as a server platform

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 20 12:39:01 UTC 2003

On Sun 20 Jul, Ted Bell wrote:

> I am currently using Slackware as a desktop along side some of Mr Gates stuff
> that I cannot afford to drop yet. I have installed a 5 port ethernet switch
> in the last few days to link my sons computer and mine to the printer and
> shortly to a broadband port, probably ADSL through BT. By the way this
> screwed up my winsock and I have yet to convince PPP in windows that there is
> no local network to route through. Thank heavans I have Linux to talk to the
> internet through!

   A good source of information is The Linux Documentation Project, with its
Administration Guides, HOWTOs, and Mini-HOWTOs

http://www.tldp.org

   You should have no trouble with Debian if you are fairly happy with
Slackware, and the bf24 installation (2.4 kernel) has a default server
configuration via tasksel, although you will still need to complete the
configuration yourself. You then have the benefit of a well tried and tested
installation which is easily upgraded. You may need to use dselect to add
extra documentation.
   If you have an ADSL connection you do not need all of the current set of
7 3.0r1 x86 CDs; the full list, and your choice from what is available, is
downloaded as you install.
   Have a look at

http://www.linuxemporium.co.uk

   UK Free Software Network ADSL prices have just been reduced, so you may
wish to consider the price and facilities on offer (the ADSL connection is
obviously still via BT).

http://ukfsn.org

--
Chris Bell