[Gllug] Establishing the IP of a switch

abower at thebowery.co.uk abower at thebowery.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 07:54:37 UTC 2003

On Sun, Jul 20, 2003 at 01:31:28PM +0100, Dylan wrote:

> > tcpdump when you power on the switch, that would let you know if they asked
> > anything, or as suggested earlier use arp watch. Once you have the mac
> > address you are home and dry all you need to do then is add a static arp
> > entry and ip address
>
> That sounds interesting - where and how do I do that?

If you have the arp address of a device you can do

arp -s 192.168.1.42 00:40:63:C0:BA:E7

which would allow you on the box where you setup the static arp address to
telnet 192.168.1.42 and set the real ip address. All you have done is modify
the systems arp table/cache to set a static arp address.

Adam
jabberid = quinophex at jabber.earth.li
AFFS || http://www.affs.org.uk/ || Not a filesystem

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk