[Gllug] Establishing the IP of a switch

Pete Ryland pdr at pdr.cx
Sat Jul 19 22:54:11 UTC 2003

On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 05:00:02PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've got two ethernet (10Mb) switches which I've just excavated from my
> loft.  Unfortunately I have no idea what their admin IP addresses are!
>
> Is there an 'easy' way to find out? Or is it a case of plugging them up to
> a box and having a script ping every possible address (lots, of course
> since they could be on 192.168.0.0 or 10.0.0.0)?

You could do a broadcast ping, but you'd still have to try each possible
subnet.

Pete

--
pdr    - Pete Ryland              - http://pdr.cx/info/about/
xmldb  - FAST 3-tier app server   - http://pdr.cx/projects/xmldb/

  'The glib supposition of utilizing atomic energy when our coal
     has run out is a completely unscientific Utopian dream, a
         childish bug-a-boo.'  - Robert A. Millikan, 1928

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk