[Gllug] Establishing the IP of a switch

Paul Lee plee at weycrest.net
Sun Jul 20 12:35:21 UTC 2003

Dylan wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I've got two ethernet (10Mb) switches which I've just excavated from my loft.
> Unfortunately I have no idea what their admin IP addresses are!
>
> Is there an 'easy' way to find out? Or is it a case of plugging them up to a
> box and having a script ping every possible address (lots, of course since
> they could be on 192.168.0.0 or 10.0.0.0)?
>
> Cheers
> Dylan

Hi

this switch of yours, has it a serial port by any chance? Even if you
get in tcp/ip wise its likely to be password protected, and you might
have to do something cunning during its bootup phase to stop it
reloading its exiting config file. Also might be possible to load a new
OS image via tftpd.

Best Wishes

Paul
paul at weycrest.net