[Gllug] Debian Task Installer v1.1.8 (woody)

itsbruce at uklinux.net itsbruce at uklinux.net
Tue Jul 1 15:41:24 UTC 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 03:41:43PM +0100, Peter Ball wrote:
> I'm only installing server stuff (i.e. no desktop stuff) the question is do I need
> to tick "C and C++" in the Development section in order to compile drivers
> etc or is that only needed if I'm actually writing in C myself ?

You will need a basic set of development tools for that, yes.  The Linux
kernel and driver modules are written in C, so you need a C compiler and
various helper utilities to roll your own kernel.  However, you don't
need to bother with that until you do decide to make your own custome
kernel.  When you install a kernel source package, the package system
will prompt you to install any needed development tools at that time.

You may never need to compile your own kernel or drivers, though.  It
depends upon your needs and your hardware.  Many people who install
Linux these days never use anything but the stock kernels that come with
their distribution.

That said, the Debian default set-up is more conservative than most and
you may well need to compile your own to deal with newer hardware.

--
Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk