[Gllug] Web filtering

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Wed Jul 9 16:19:37 UTC 2003

Rev Simon Rumble writes:

>> It's hard to justify your standpoint. The very term "open source"
>> was coined by the same people who wrote the open source definition,
>> to mean software that complies with that definition.
>
>I'm not sure that was actually the first time the term was used...

I am. It was.

>Common usage amongst free software enthusiasts, you mean.  Most
>outside our community, including the press, the term to mean "source
>code is available".
>
> [...]
>
>What's more, the FSF's definition and activism has led to the term
>being indisputably what everyone else thinks it means.

I'm not sure which world you're living in, but I'm fairly sure it's
not the same one as me. In my world, outside of our community, the
term "free software" means free beer, not free speech, despite the
best efforts of the FSF. More people associate "open source" with
the OSD than associate "free software" with freedom.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk