[Gllug] Web filtering

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 16:20:28 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, 9 Jul 2003, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>On Wed 09 Jul, David Damerell bloviated thus:
>>Um. SPI still do hold the "open source" trademark.
>Wasn't it denied?

SPI wrested it back from the OSI, but one of the board members tells
me it evaporated after that, so you're right.

>>BTW, what legal weight do you think the term "free" has?
>True, my choice of words was a bit dumb.  However, when you say "free
>software", there can be no doubt.  What's more, the FSF's definition
>and activism has led to the term being indisputably what everyone
>else thinks it means.

This is nonsense. "Free software" is very often misunderstood to mean
"free beer" - and if you're going to insist on the incorrect usage of
"open source", you can't really object to this incorrect usage of
"free software".

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk