[Gllug] backup solution

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 16:57:23 UTC 2003

On Tuesday, 8 Jul 2003, Jack Bertram wrote:
>Requirements:
>- Must work with Linux
>- Preferably IDE/cheap SCSI - my file server is an old 466 Celeron
>  without nice things like USB2 and Firewire
>- At least 10Gb per tape/cartridge/whatever
>- Withstand multiple writing/rewriting to same tape/cartridge
>Ideally, I wouldn't spend more than L100-200 including 50Gb of backup
>capacity, although I know I may have to compromise here. Even more
>ideally, it would be external, although not if it costs more.

I have an internal OnStream 15GB (30GB on the manufacturer's lie scale
most drives use) with 2 tapes. It's SCSI, works with Linux albeit with
a special funky (but not non-Free) driver, worked last time I used
it. I live in Bracknell, but am regularly in Reading and London. If
you would like to make me an offer, go ahead.

Presently the tapes appear to cost about L30 in three-packs, and the
IDE version of the drive costs L200 new.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk