[Gllug] backup solution

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Tue Jul 8 17:11:54 UTC 2003

Jack Bertram <jack at jbertram.net> writes:

> Well, now that my hard disk drive has failed,

I just used Dotco Software (0870 770 4267) to solve one of those. No
connection other than and so forth.

[snip]

> - Must work with Linux
> - Preferably IDE/cheap SCSI - my file server is an old 466 Celeron
>   without nice things like USB2 and Firewire
> - At least 10Gb per tape/cartridge/whatever
> - Withstand multiple writing/rewriting to same tape/cartridge

At work, we use:

1x fast CD writer
1x fireproof safe

> Ideally, I wouldn't spend more than £100-200 including 50Gb of backup
> capacity, although I know I may have to compromise here. Even more
> ideally, it would be external, although not if it costs more.

CPC are selling HP 8x4x32 SCSI external CD writers for a lot less than
they were when they first came out...

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk
www.shadow.org.uk/products/newhand.shtml