[Gllug] backup solution

Mark Hazell nutts at penguinmail.com
Wed Jul 9 09:31:27 UTC 2003

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 17:29:38 +0100 Jack typed:

> Well, now that my hard disk drive has failed, I figure it's time to
> bite the bullet, shut the stable door, and buy a backup solution for
> my home network.
>
> I have no idea what to buy.  Any suggestions?

Personally I have a RAID-0 mirrored hard disk configuration (40gig each
at the moment but about to upgrade to 2x120gig disks for 180 UKP) on my
file server, and then CDR backups done biweekly/monthly of only my
vitally important stuff (photos, configurations, docs etc) - which I
find personally doesn't change more often than that or i'd do more
frequent backups. These CDRs are then distributed offsite to my parents
house etc.
For the other files on the file server (movies, music etc) it wouldn't
be the end of the World if i lose them, just a nuisance, so I live with
just the RAID arrangement for those.

Simple and cheap, but not suitable for everybody - it just suits my
requirements.

A quick question actually, I've thought that really I should encrypt my
backups. Do other people do this, and if so what do they use?

Cheers,
M.--
"All that was needed was to parse the cat root slash dev etcetera file
for eth0 and pugle the forward identity-locking rehooliginator and
symlink it to the libgc perl humongisooler module after a kernel
decompile and basic repatch update." - theregister.co.uk

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk