[Gllug] VNC problem

Doug Winter doug at pigeonhold.com
Mon Jul 7 19:51:50 UTC 2003

On Mon 07 Jul Simon Morris wrote:
> I often connect to my machine at work from home using VNC. Both machines
> run RH 9.0
>
> Once connected to work I then get another VNC session onto our Windows
> servers to do some out-of-hours stuff (Like rebooting -- who'd have
> thought it!!)

Why do you VNC to the redhat system, rather than going straight to the
Windows box?

If it's because of NAT making the Windows box unaddressable, or similar
firewall type issues, you might find ssh tunneling useful.  vncviewer
supports this with the "-via" switch, although you can create them
manually using ssh if you'd rather, using the -L and -R switches.

With vncviewer, you can just:

$ vncviewer -via gateway-system windows-system

Cheers,

Doug.

--
Core GNOME developers are heavy Ketamine users
    -- http://www.illusionary.com/GNOMEvKDE.html