[Gllug] Persauding the Mrs. To move to Linux..

Tanya Morris taz at penguinit.com
Mon Jul 21 19:25:25 UTC 2003

<quote who="Martyn Drake">
> Okay, I'm out of ideas.  I've just recently installed SuSE Linux
Professional 8.2 on our home machine to completely replace Windows XP.
> chose SuSE since  (a) thanks to the nice people at SuSE I've got a
freebie
> copy to play with for a while due to their generous LUG offer and (b)
it's
> touted as being the one of the most user friendly distributions
alongside
> Mandrake.  Me, I'm used to Red Hat for the most part, but I wanted
something
> that would enable both my wife and I to get something out of it without too
> much of a learning curve for the wife.
>
> Anyway, I set-up myself and the wife with a login account.  After
several
> hours of play, the wife moans about hating Linux and that the fonts are all
> too small within Mozilla and she can't do the same sort of things under
Linux that she could with Windows.  She then has a go at me for
tinkering
> with the computer.
>
> We've now gone back to Windows - anything for the quiet life! :)  The
question remains - how do I persuade her to stick with it?! :)   I would
have tinkered with the default font settings to enable her to see things
> bit better, but she was a bit too impatient.  And no - I'm not getting
another wife! :)

Here is how my husband won the battle......

Before he banished Windows he grabbed the "Teletubbies" desktop wallpaper
from Win XP, took screenshots of the main icons -- Start Button, My
Computer, Internet Explorer, whichever mail application, Recycle Bin, and
made my Gnome login as Windows-esq as possible.

Create desktop links for all the main apps she'll need, get the Crossover
plugin for the browser helper apps and ride out her criticism.

Before you know it she'll have turned her criticism towards other areas --
dirty car, long grass etc etc.

I wouldn't go back :-)

--
Taz