[Gllug] linux home network/fileshare with router

Will Napier will at thinkingsuccess.com
Sun Jul 6 15:56:51 UTC 2003

Hi, aplologies for the basic nature of the question ('he's new'). I have
read on this but am still unclear:

I have linux (mandrake 9.1) on one pc, and a linksys router. I have
another pc with windows me on it (hopefully not for long). Both pcs are
successfully and simultaneously accessing the internet via the adsl
ethernet modem (having gone through router).

How do I setup filesharing? I would like to access files on pc 2 (the
windows one) on pc 1 (linux). If possible I would like to be able to use
the printer conncected to pc 1 from pc 2. Also I would like to watch
dvds played on either machine on the other's monitor.

Will NFS do all this? or do I need Samba? And is there a really simple
way I can get this up and running given my newbie status?

I think I have done what I need to in windows me on pc 2, setting up a
network and clicking permission to share files etc. It is getting to
'see' either pc from the other and do the above that I'm after.

Thanks, Will

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk