[Gllug] Compiling Debian Woody (not)

Peter Ball CFL at marguet-ball.demon.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 16:11:00 UTC 2003

Much thanks to everyone for their help and advice.  With your help I custom compiled and am
running the custom kernel.

I used: 	tar xfj /usr/src/kernel-source-2.2.22.tar.bz2
to place the source in: 	/usr/local/src/kernel-source-2.2.22/
where: 	/usr/local/src/ is owned by "admin" rather than "root".  It all went fine from there.

I've also now successfully compiled the driver and got it working for the miniITX onboard lan
(VIA Rhine Family Fast Ethernet Adapter v4.24  Jan. 2003) even though the Makefile and
readme were for Redhat 7.2  and the readme was obscure incomplete and inaccurate in
places - nothing new there.

It's all booting cleanly with a couple of very minor things to sort.

I will admit to a certain satisfaction as this is the first linux system I've set up :-)

I know I should finish writing my notes up, but I'm of down the garden of the cafe for a little
light reading with Linux Routers 2nd ed by Tony Mancill.-----------------------------------
Peter Ball
Computers For Linguists
peter.ball at marguet-ball.net
Tel:    +44(0)20 7732 1741
Fax:    +44(0)20 7358 9214
Mobile: +44(0)77 1968 2913
45 Endwell Road, London, SE4 2PQ, United Kingdom

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk