[Gllug] Little machines

Axel Segebrecht axel at segebrecht.com
Wed Jul 23 15:46:11 UTC 2003

Hi Richard,

I'd probably put something like RH9 on it and strip the desktop of
anything that the user doesn't need and may get confused with.

Then put OpenOffice (for glorified typewriting) on it with big friendly
buttons on the desktop.

In order to minimise any possible confusion even more I would make it
absolutely clear where the right place is to put files (i.e. only allow
and show only one directory - like /home/mydocs) and put a link on the
desktop too.

The only other suitable buttons would be log-out/power off and link to
the printer.

The most important thing is - IMHO anyway - to reduce the amount of
menues, icons and crap users have to content with nowadays. Reduce it to
what they really need and dis-allow them to do anything but the bare
minimum! This way you can sit back and relax with a
[ ] hot cup-o-tea
[ ] cold pint of lager

;D

PS: Why RH9? Because it comes closest to being the perfect desktop and
windows/menues/etc look 99% the same throughout.

Peace,

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk