[Gllug] Little machines

Rich Walker rw at shadow.org.uk
Wed Jul 23 15:46:42 UTC 2003

Richard Cottrill <richard_c at tpg.com.au> writes:

> Hi guys,
>
> further to my last query about the O2 machines; I've got an old Thinkpad I'm going to lend to a
> friend to do her uni work on.
>
> Now, this is a P266MMX, 130MB RAM or so, and a 2GB(?) disc. I know I can fit a usable (if not
> totally leagal (now)) Win2K + MS Office install on there and it will run nicely, the user (not a
> nerd by any stretch) will be familiar with it. You guys may doubt it's usable, but it's served me
> well.

My laptop is a P2-266, 160MB ram, and now on it's third hard
drive. (40GB).

I run debian/testing, with icewm as the window manager.

Openoffice is surprisingly usable. Abiword runs, but I don't use it.

I used to have kde on it, but I got bored waiting for redraw on switch
desktop.

I've recently been fiddling with nautilus, just because "~ on backdrop"
is a really nice feature...

hth

cheers, Rich.

rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw at shadow.org.uk