[Gllug] Accessing hd with corrupt partition table

John Edwards John.Edwards at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Mon Jul 28 18:09:16 UTC 2003

On Mon, Jul 28, 2003 at 06:49:51PM +0100, Dylan wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I've got a 1Gig IDE drive which has a FAT32 partition, a linux swap partition
> and an ext2 partition on it. Unfortunately, so far as the partition table is
> concerned the total size is over 90Gig!!
>
> Is there a program which would allow me to discover (or at least make a best
> guess at) the real partition geometry and use that info to read the FAT and
> ext2 partitions?
>
> Cheers
>
> Dylan

I've used a package in Debian called gpart that may be useful to you.
The home page seems to be unavailable at the moment, but the Debian
package and mirror sites are below:
    http://packages.debian.org/stable/admin/gpart.html
    http://public.www.planetmirror.com/pub/gpart/

It's in beta development, but still usable.

An alternative could be GNU Parted:
    http://www.gnu.org/software/parted/

--
|       John Edwards    Email: John.Edwards at uk.com       |