[Gllug] Web filtering

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 15:50:49 UTC 2003

On Wednesday, 9 Jul 2003, Rev Simon Rumble wrote:
>On Wed 09 Jul, David Damerell bloviated thus:
>>On Wednesday, 9 Jul 2003, Simon Faulkner wrote:
>>>Not free for commercial but Open Source and very reasonable price.
>>These two are not mutually compatible. Read the Open Source Definition.
>The Open Source Definition has no legal meaning.

Um. SPI still do hold the "open source" trademark.

>Use the term "free"
>when you mean free in both senses of the word, not some mealy-mouthed
>term.

Actually, I do talk about "free software" not "open source", not least
because of confusion like that above, and greater sympathy with the
FSF than with Eric Raymond... but nevertheless "open source" does have
a generally understood meaning, and if people _are_ going to use that
term they ought to know what it means. Mr. Faulkner does appear to use
that term, so he ought to find out what it means.

--
David Damerell <damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk> Distortion Field!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk