[Gllug] Computer shopping

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Mon Jul 28 15:29:53 UTC 2003

> If you have a real RAID controller (i.e. not anything made by Adaptec or
> rebadged by Dell), the number of disks is utterly irrelavent.

I don't agree with this, the throughput of a single disk is limited while
multiples of these disks same disks will agregate their performance if used
appropriately.  If you stripe or mirror these disks, you will find that read
performance increases and for striping, so does write performance.  A 2
drive RAID will be swamped by an 8 drive RAID almost every time, provided
you are striping or striping and mirroring (or parity striping).  2 drives
with 25 Mb throughput each have an agregate throughput of 50 Mb (though you
don't get 100% efficiency adding disks, going from one drive to two is
pretty close, on sequetial reads that is)  An 8 drive array will have a
troughput of about 200 Mb.  Remember that these are all maximums and real
world performance may and WILL vary for the RAID AND the single drive.

Andy Farnsworth

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk