[Gllug] Little machines

Richard Cottrill richard_c at tpg.com.au
Wed Jul 23 15:37:09 UTC 2003

Hi guys,

further to my last query about the O2 machines; I've got an old Thinkpad
I'm going to lend to a friend to do her uni work on.

Now, this is a P266MMX, 130MB RAM or so, and a 2GB(?) disc. I know I can
fit a usable (if not totally leagal (now)) Win2K + MS Office install on
there and it will run nicely, the user (not a nerd by any stretch) will
be familiar with it. You guys may doubt it's usable, but it's served me
well.

The question for you guys is: If the Linux desktop is ready, what do I
install on this machine? Some hassles will be allowed (owing to a dearth
of other available options) but this has got to be simple, reliable,
approachable, and easy for a near-novice.

I'm thinking of a stripped Suse install. This machine will be a
glorified typewriter; but can it beat a MS-powered glorified typewriter?

Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk