[Gllug] HFS formatted ZIP discs

Richard Turner richard at rj-turner.freeserve.co.uk
Sun Jul 6 18:47:04 UTC 2003

Hi,

My housemate brought home three zip discs from work yesterday with
images on them that he wanted me to print onto T-shirt transfers.  One
of the discs was formatted in who-knows-what format and I couldn't mount
it (in the end he used his Mac to get the data off that one, but still
couldn't tell me what the filesystem on it was), another was formatted
with FAT and Gnome found and mounted it as soon as I tried to browse to
it with Nautilus (yay!).  The third one was formatted with HFS and I had
to mount that from the command line as root.

Checking /etc/fstab I see that the entry that's been added for
/dev/sda4, the USB ZIP drive my housemate borrowed from work, shows that
the filesystem specified is 'auto'.  Any ideas why this works for
automounting FAT zip discs but not HFS formatted ones?  Has anyone else
come across this and configured their machines to correctly choose
between FAT and HFS when automounting a zip?

Cheers,

Richard.
--
"Racing turtles, the grapefruit is winning..."