[Gllug] BBC looking for campaigners

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Jul 29 09:25:10 UTC 2003

On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Mike Brodbelt wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-07-28 at 16:43, Doug Winter wrote:
> > On Mon 28 Jul Formi wrote:
> > >  I still fail to see why it still happens in this country, being so
> > >  democratic... And I shall not start mentioning things like "Fake Academy"
> > >  and some bloke on the morning program of BBC London Radio.
> >
> > It's because most people like it and are happy to pay £100 pa for it,
> > Formi.  If most people hated it, I'm sure the Government would be happy
> > to ditch it.
>
> I used to really dislike it, then I saw what some other countries got in
> the way of public broadcasting, and revised my opinions. Funding the BBC
> via a form of taxation isn't ideal, I'll admit, but of all the taxes I
> pay it's one of the ones I resent least. The BBC at least make good
> programmes with the license fee. I wish the government made as good a
> use of the funding they get from income tax. Maybe we'd get an NHS that
> worked then.
>
> Mike.

 When I admit they put some deplorable programs, in the whole I watch
 quite a lot of TV, usually BBC2, and find a lot of programs very good.

 My complain is that the programs I like are shown usually after midnight.
 Prime time programming, that at the end of the day is what most people
 with a 9-5 job watch leaves much to be desired.

 As a public entity they could do with less complacency and more work,
 and less fat cats.

--
 Formi                               its-formi.net at rc
 FreeBSD 5.1 ThinkPad 570            Study the past, if you would divine

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk