[Gllug] Computer Shopping

Peter Childs Blue.Dragon at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Jul 27 17:24:14 UTC 2003

On Sunday 27 July 2003 16:19, Richard Kirkham wrote:

> Is there somewhere else you can suggest where I could get a similarly
> compact machine for a somewhat lower price? Or maybe buy the motherboard
> and a case?
>
> Grateful if you could give me a steer.
>
> Best wishes, Richard.

	Being in position of trying to get a super sized shopping list finished I
have managed to find some nice cheap systems. www.savastore.co.uk seams
extremly cheap. Its a branch of Watford Electronics so I guess they have some
reputation...... Anyway I spotted a SpaceCube SS51G P4 S478 Mini Barebone PC
system for hmm £119+VAT No memory, harddrive or processor. So you will need a
478 processor. Hmm they start at £40 so I gues you might be able to get below
£200 if you push it..... Unfortinally if you want a new machine the minimum
you end up spending is £300~ Even PC World now sell Mini itx cases and
motherboards so I guess Tottenham Court Road may be a good place to try.....

	While I'm here I may as well ask for some help with may current Brain Teasing
Shopping List.

We are trying to put together a new 24x7 computersized mini-cab despatch
system to orgainse a fleet of over 100 cars around london. (Take the bookings
and despatch the cars to the right locations at the right times....)
	The system which is nearly finished the stage 1 development stage is based on
Qt, Postgres, Jabber and LTSP.
	Anyway we want redundancy and good value for money. and management have told
me money is not an object (we all know it is but never mind) and they want it
to "look" good.
	In an ideal world I would go for Racks, SCSI, etc, etc, but from doing a few
caculations we end up spending as much on the Racks and we do on the
computers. Which does not look like good value for money (to anyone)
	I have some ideas already but I want more as we don't want a mistake.
Currently my ideas stand at starting with 4 computers and going to more once
everything is done.... the hot spares should be able to cross as thin client
servers until we get some more......

1 Posgres Server
1 Hot Spare Postgres Server using DRBD for now but Replication when somone
actually gets it written properly!
1 File Server
1 Hot Spare File Server using DRBD

	I was planning to using DRBD, Raid, LVM, etc we already have a UPS and
generator which can quite happerly keep the office going for hours... So
ideas would be much usful. More info available on request... I was also
hopping to set all the machines up identically so when one breaks we can swap
them and keep going.
	PS If you are going to surgest SCSI your going to have to explain why very
carefully because 18Gb hard disks do not compare well to 80Gb ones for IDE
when SCSI cards are expensive too. If its needed I'm going to need to say why
and currently I don't know at all!

Many thanks fo everyones help

Peter Childs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk