[Gllug] gentoo

Pete Black pete at pblack.uklinux.net
Sun Jun 8 22:50:51 UTC 2003

look on gentoo.org for install instructions. You will need them, as there
are quite a few steps involved. However, it is pretty painless since everything
works precisely as indicated, at least in my experience.

Be aware gentoo is a source-based distro - that is everything that runs on it
is automatically downloaded and compiled from source by the portage package
manager.

You will need a decent connection (broadband is mandatory for gentoo, realistically),
and either a fast CPU or a lot of time.

I found gentoo excellent for multimedia and development purposes, but would definitely
not recommend it for someone who doesn't already know what they want from their Linux
machine.

-Pete

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk