[Gllug] Fax/TAM - OT

Chris Bell chrisbell at overview.demon.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 09:28:40 UTC 2003

On Wed 18 Jun, Christopher Hunter wrote:

> On Wednesday 18 Jun 2003 8:38 am, Simon Faulkner wrote:
> > Has anyone had any luck with a switch or device that will detect a fax call
> > and divert it to your fax machine otherwise send it to answer machine?
> >
> > (I know that you can do it with Linux but I am hoping for a standalone
> > solution)
> >
> > Simon
>

> There are a couple of commercial products that try to do this for you (the
> "Fax Friend" is one such), but none of them are very effective, as they try
> to work purely on the telephone line side of the Fax and TAM.  It's much
> better to internally modify the TAM, and do the job properly!

   I have not tried the Fax Friend, but I purchased two of another type (no
longer manufactured), one which I have connected to my home line, and
another which was used for many years to receive such things as end-of-play
results for the commentators by the TV OB unit I worked with.
   They are supposed to monitor the line to the standard phones/TAM without
sending Fax tones, and if incoming Fax/Modem tones are detected, grab the
line, dump the TAM, send ring tones to the Fax, and switch the line to the
Fax. Unfortunately the calling line now drops out before the Fax/Modem
manages to answer, even when set to answer immediately. If the Fax/Modem is
in use the analogue phones are disconnected, so can not interfere with the
modem. The cure may just require a resistor on a holding relay, but I have
not looked.

--
Chris Bell

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk