[Gllug] AOL blocks mail from 'dynamic' addresses

Xander Harkness xander at harkness.co.uk
Wed Jun 18 09:59:22 UTC 2003

A company I do some consulting work for has just been hit by the lame
attempt by AOL to reduce spam.

They have a list of sorts and are denying incoming mail from these
addresses.

The company have an ADSL connection with 5 fixed IPs.

The company contacts work out to a number of structural engineers, most
work for small firms or alone, hence they use AOL, Hotmail and others to
send in their reports and receive work.

Fortunately we can dictate that they move to a new service as they are
receiving work from us; however I can imagine that this will cause a
number of problems for other people too.

My first reaction was to block all incoming email from AOL with an error
message explaining the problems with AOL's new policy; however the users
are not clued up enough to actually read an error message.

I shall be interested to see how this develops :-)

Kind regards
Xander

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk