[Gllug] IDE RAID

Richard Jones rich at annexia.org
Wed Jun 11 19:19:52 UTC 2003

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 06:40:22PM +0100, Simon Faulkner wrote:
> But most MoBos can only handle 4 disks (including your CD)
> What card do I use to handle extra disks?

Most server mobos these days have more than just the 2 IDE channels.
I got one the other day which has 6 on it (!)

As a general rule you should never share one channel with more than
one drive. Ie. Your drives should be hda1, hdc1, hde1, etc.

Some time ago I bought some Promise IDE cards (2 channels on each
card, you can have multiple cards in a system), and they served me
well.

Rich.

--
Richard Jones, Red Hat Inc. (London) and Merjis Ltd. http://www.merjis.com/