[Gllug] IDE RAID

Andy Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Wed Jun 11 19:43:29 UTC 2003

Check out my article:
http://www.stonedoor.com/andy/index.cgi?document=TerabyteDesktop

In general, IDE RAID is nice, but be sure you get a good RAID card.  3Ware
makes very good ones that blow the Adaptec card away in performance and have
open source drivers for Linux as well as Windows drivers too.  They are 64
bit PCI cards but will run in 32 bit slots if that is all you have.
Remember that the more spindles the faster the RAID, you will also find that
with the price of drives, it would be less expensive to get six 160 Gb
drives rather than four 250 Gb drives.  Remember you will need a case that
can support six drives along with a power supply to power them.

Let us know how it works out.

Andy Farnsworth
Mobile   : +44 (0) 7736 952 749
@Timeless: +44 (0)  208 818 2929