[Gllug] Best format, for everyone, for saving documents.

Tethys tet at accucard.com
Sun Jun 15 19:56:45 UTC 2003

Xander Harkness writes:

>I would also
>have hoped that Abiword, Kword and Open Office could have formed a
>committee to agree to adhere to a common format.

They've started:

	http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=office

Sadly, they've standardised on XML to ensure maximal bloat, but at
least it should result in a common interchangable format. So far,
though, they've got buy in from many plers, but mostly in the closed
source word processing market. The only open contributor is open office.

>In addition I do not think that any import .tex  files.

Not one of them has a layout engine that comes close to being able to
match TeX, so they couldn't match the quality anyway. The best app to
process .tex files is TeX.

Tet

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk