[Gllug] EU patents

Formi formi at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jun 30 14:55:46 UTC 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Mick Farmer wrote:

> Dear GLLUGers,
>
> The problem is that the eurocrats are not morons.  They are,
> in fact, quite clever and adept in the areas that matter to
> them, e.g. their salaries and their jobs.
>
> Unfortunately, they are susceptible to lobbying (because
> this is the drivel they regurgitate all the time) and the US
> has been lobbying the EU extremely hard for the EU to come
> into line with the US on software patents.
>
> Hopefully the UK will see the madness in all this and refuse
> to play Brussel Sprouts.
>
> Regards,

 I would call that just wishful thinking.

 Little story, last monday I met some middle-aged man who described
 himself as a "englishman". We chatted about politics, the world
 situation, and the state of the UK public services...

 After the usual both-sided moaning about the state of the NHS, roads,
 trains.. he said something that I found really amusing. He said he would
 be going on holidays to the south of France and would stay at a friends
 house, and was whishing the french wouldn't be having one of their
 "usual strikes". Then I asked what he thought about about the standards
 of living in France. "I wish the UK were like France" was the answer.

 Interesting, he doesn't like side-effects of the french fighting for
 their rights, but would like the benefits that can be achieved by
 fighting for them.

 How "english", we want something, we talk about it, and we expect it
 to fall from the sky...

 Usually it is the UK the first country to copy legislation from the US,
 normally the "negative" bits.

--
 Formi                               its-formi.net at rc (In reverse).
 FreeBSD 5.1 ThinkPad 570            Study the past, if you would divine

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk